NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation’s premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals – Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children’s health services across the medical center – plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center’s tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Research Nurse.
In this role, the successful candidate works as part of a team to initiate and manage research studies in the most optimal fashion. The position ensures the accurate execution of research protocols in accordance with Good Clinical Practices, HIPAA and required obligations to patient/subject, Principal Investigator, research team and the sponsor. Directly interfaces with patients/subjects and the Principal Investigator in support of the clinical trials. Provides guidance to clinical support staff. Works autonomously and with limited oversight.
- May orient and train clerical staff regarding many aspects of carrying out the initial patient screening and subject recruitment protocol; scheduling of initial visits and other essential duties. May (if proper training has occurred) perform EKG and or take vital signs. May be required to travel to study initiation (that is, where sponsor teaches protocol to PI and CRC).
- Employee must also complete Standard Precautions and required IRB/HIPPA tutorial. May complete assessments on study subjects/patients per protocol (with proper training); continue to follow-through with items and patients as part of research study.
- Collect, prepare, ship, and/or store biological materials using universal precautions. Environmental training is provided for the proper handling and collection of biological substances and the packaging and shipment of samples.
- Secure accurate signatures and forward documents and/or forms to appropriate destination. Maintains files in an organized and up-to-date manner in order to facilitate their retrieval and maintains copies of all required on-going documentation and forms for the files.
- Responsible for developing in conjunction with the team recruitment strategies (i.e., analysis of annual numbers of new consults, seek out protocols for the available patient population). Maintain complete, accurate subject charts, case report forms, enrollment logs, and hospital records from patient screening through final follow-up.
- Write template-defined progress notes that reflect study procedures. Participate in weekly Feasibility Meetings by presenting Protocols from disease group. Aware of study regulatory statuses for Protocols.
- Utilize available resources and established procedures to identify problems for quick resolution. Conduct study visits, obtain and document information within the time frame specified.
- Demonstrate knowledge of policies and procedures of the host institution where the study is being conducted and the regulatory requirements such as IRB and other approvals if necessaryudy.
- Collaborate with various personnel that may be involved in assisting with specific aspects in the study.
- Interact with patient/subject and families in a courteous and professional manner. Be consistent and regularly follow through with your patient/subjects reminding them of visits and compliance.
- Assist with the informed consent process and ensure that the patient/subject fully understands what is required of them throughout the study.
- Thorough knowledge of research study, study rationale, study subject, and clinical procedures associated with the study.
To qualify you must have a NYS RN License with current registration. Graduate of an accredited nursing program. Bachelors Degree in Nursing, or equivalent combination of education and experience with plans to earn a baccalaureate degree in Nursing. Prior RN experience in a clinical setting preferred. Experience working with specific indications (department-specific). Minimum of 3 years progressively responsible related experience coordinating clinical/research trials studies. Proficiency in using various Microsoft Office applications such as World, Excel, Access, Power Point and Outlook. Familiar with Internet applications. Effective verbal and written communication skills, and strong analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to interface effectively with all levels of management and work and communicate effectively with both internal and external customers. Ability to work within a team environment as well as independently. Commitment to continuous learning as required by department administration. Ability to make decisions independently. Ability to manage time, multi task and prioritize work. Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems; ability to work well under pressure.
Required Licenses: Registered Nurse License-NYS
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing is highly preferred. Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC) Certification is preferred (required in some disciplines). Knowledge of basic medical terminology is preferred. Experience working in an Academic Medical Center preferred
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We’re pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York’s hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you’ll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.