Nurse Manager Labor and Delivery
Job ID: 1038530_RR00016926
Area of Talent: Nursing
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Location: NYU Langone Hospitals- Brooklyn,
Shift: 09:00 AM to 05:00 PM Flexible variable hours
NYU Lutheran Medical Center is a full-service teaching hospital and Level I trauma center located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The medical center is central to a comprehensive network of affiliated ambulatory and outpatient practices, and serves as NYU Langone Medical Center’s anchor for healthcare access, growth, and delivery in the entire borough. Learn more about NYU Lutheran Medical Center . Position Summary:
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Nurse Manager-Labor and Delivery
In this role, the successful candidate Responsible and accountable for quality of nursing care and unit management on a 24/7 basis. Fosters an effective work environment for interdisciplinary teamwork, patient satisfaction and staff satisfaction. Serves as a role model and resource to all staff.
- Develops unit objectives on a yearly basis and submits progress reports as required.
- Plans for unit staffing needs on a long term and short term basis, adjusts these appropriately according to GRASP nursing workload system and other staffing variables to maintain safe, efficient care in an effective manner.
- Prepares staff schedules in a timely manner. Monitors appropriate use of benefit time. Completes time cards for timely and correct payroll. Approves overtime
- Monitors unit staffing to budget, overtime/agency usage and provides justifications as needed.
- Interviews potential staff members and recommends hiring of applicants with appropriate skills and behavior in collaboration with recruitment
- Counsels and coaches staff concerning their work performance and development: holds staff accountable for performance.
- Evaluates work performance and clinical competency of personnel on a timely basis and makes recommendations for promotions, transfers, and discharge. Takes corrective and/or disciplinary action with staff in collaboration with the nursing director and Human Resources.
- Collaborates with Materials Management Department for appropriate supplies and equipment and ensures proper utilization and maintenance of supplies and equipment on unit.
- Maintains effective, ongoing and timely communication with staff and maintains records of meetings
- Communicates with peers, staff, patients, families and physicians clearly and professionally
- Makes recommendations for staffing, supply and capital budget needs of the unit. Monitors unit budget in collaboration with Clinical Director. Participates in annual staffing plan/budget review process
- Utilizes effective conflict resolution strategies when dealing with staff, physicians and family members
- Established pleasant work environment conducive to teamwork, growth and recognition.
- Assimilates LMC core values compassion, dignity, integrity, service throughout all processes and interactions.
- Participates in unit, departmental and hospital based councils/activities/special projects.
- Serves as a liaison to all other departments in the LMC system and demonstrates effective teambuilding and problem solving strategies in interactions.
- Acts as a resource to staff for regulatory and policy matters
- Provides divisional coverage as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned or volunteered in alignment with LMC mission, goals and values.
- Facilitates and ensures orientation of personnel to the unit. Plans cooperatively with the instructor, CNS, preceptor and new employee for experience needed to perform competently.
- Coordinates staff competency plan in collaboration with nursing education
- Cooperates with instructors of affiliating schools in planning the clinical experience of nursing students
- Makes recommendations for staff educational needs and plans educational activities independently and in conjunction with others. Participates in the clinical and leadership development of employees in his/her area. Maintains accurate records, and evaluates effectiveness of activities
- Shares new knowledge with staff and peers.
- Identifies and meets learning needs in order to maintain competency and respond to new clinical and management expectations.
To qualify you must have a BSN, MS preferred
NY State RN license and registration required
3-5 years nursing experience with one year experience in Labor and Delivery required
Demonstrated leadership ability in a management role, including written and oral communication skills, interpersonal and problem solving skills. Willingness to devote the time required completing assigned tasks on schedule.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Lutheran Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Lutheran Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Lutheran Medical Center’s EEO policies, please click here . Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.