NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children’s hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute–designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history.
For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Pathology Assistant.
In this role, the successful candidate A Pathologists Assistant is a highly trained allied health professional who provides various pathologyservices under the direction and supervision of a pathologist. Pathologists Assistants are responsiblefor the gross examination and dissection of anatomic pathology specimens. They prepare tissue fornumerous pathological tests including frozen section diagnosis, histology, flow cytometry, andimmunohistochemical staining. They may photograph gross and microscopic specimens help prepareeducational conferences, and provide training to pathology residents. The duties of a PathologistsAssistant are not always limited to anatomic and surgical pathology, but also include a variety of tasksincluding administrative, supervisory, and teaching duties
- Assists supervisor,pathologists, housestaff, and managementwith any and all otherduties as assigned.
- Assists department andsupervisor with variousQA/QI initiatives andcompliance with all withCAP, NYSDOH and JointCommission standardsas they relate to thegross room.
- Assists in resident training/teaching ofpathology grossexamination, dissection,and dictationprocedures. Also assistsin training in the use ofcryostats, faxitron anddigital photography asneeded. Supportsresidents in workflowmanagement.
- Assisting in theorganization andcoordination of anatomicpathology conferences.
- Performing dutiesrelating to themaintenance of thelaboratory whenneeded. Cleansworkstation betweenand after case dissectioncompletion. Ensuresproper maintenance ofequipments, sterilizationof instruments anddiscard of waste andmaterial properly.Notifies supervisor oflow supply inventoryand assists with supplymanagement.
- Dissection of specimensincluding; Dissectsspecimens according toprotocols andprocedures. Preparesappropriate sample oftissue for histologicalprocessing and/or frozensections, obtains tissuefor additional studiesincluding but not limitedto flow cytometry,electron microscopy,immunohistochemistry,etc., and performsspecial proceduresincluding faxitronimaging and tumortriage. Photographs allappropriate grossspecimens andmicroscopic slides.Correlates specimeninformation with theappropriate attendingpathologist.
- Gross description:Accurately dictatesgross descriptionaccording to designatedprotocols and templates.Includes all relevantdetails in the grossdescription including;color, measurement, shape, weight. Reviewsgross description toensure accuracy andcompletion.
- Obtaining andappropriately applyingthe clinical informationto the analysis andinterpretation of thesurgical case.
- Reconciliation ofspecimens: assuresappropriate specimenaccessioning reconcilesspecimen labeling oflogs, containers, blocks,and requisitions,according to procedures.
To qualify you must be a Graduate of an NAACLS accredited Pathology Assistant training program, or Bachelor’s Degree in clinicallaboratory science, medical technology, biology or related field, with required previous relatedexperience including surgical pathology, gross dissection of surgical specimens, and frozen sections.NYSDOH License as a clinical laboratory histotechnician, technician, or technologist. Excellentcommunication skills and ability to work independently.
Required Licenses: Clinical Lab Technologist-NYS
National Certification by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP-PA). Board certified by theAmerican Society of Clinical Pathology Board of Registry (ASCP BOR). Certification through theAmerican Association of Pathologist Assistants (AAPA). Experience working with Residents and Fellows.2 years experience working in a surgical pathology laboratory as a Pathologist Assistant
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military or veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster. To view the EEO supplement, please visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.