NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children’s hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute¿designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Lead Anesthesia Technician.
In this role, the successful candidate Position Summary:Responsible for stocking all anesthetic supplies for ORs, maintaining all anesthetic equipment, insuring necessary anesthetic equipment is available for each case.
- Support of Clinical Staff: Provides approved assistance to Anesthesiologists/CRNAs during induction, maintenance and emergence from Anesthesia. Assists Anesthesiologists/CRNAs with the placement of regional anesthetics and invasive monitoring devices. Follows directives and special protocols from Anesthesiologists for specific surgeries, i.e. Cardiac, Liver Transplants, Neuro, Vascular, etc. Communicates and actively participates with circulating nurses for plans concerning each case.
- Assists with the supervision of the Anesthesia Technicians and provides support to the supervisor. Ensures that the supervisor is kept aware of work situations and performance of each employee on an ongoing-basis. Trains newly hired technicians effectively in the procedures of the department and pertinent hospital policies. Orients existing employees to new procedures and/or changes in existing procedures. Offers continuing guidance and technical assistance to employees on work activities and procedures. Assists with trouble shooting technical problems. Organizes work to facilitate the work flow of Anesthesia Technicians. Reviews work for accuracy and completeness. Leads training sessions for the technicians to improve technical expertise. Monitors the work of staff in order to provide clear and accurate feedback to supervisor regarding performance.
- Equipment and Supplies: Maintains on a daily and case to case basis, the equipment and supplies necessary to provide quality and cost effective anesthesia care to all patients cared for by the Anesthesiology Department. Applies principles of infection control and safety, including proper handling, cleaning, sterilizing and/or disposal of equipment or supplies used in regular and contaminated cases. Sets up sterile equipment, such as intravenous, central venous, arterial and pulmonary artery catheters using sterile techniques. Performs all standard procedural checks on equipment; reports any malfunctioning equipment to supervisor.
- Ensures the sterility and cleanliness of specialized equipment, including TEEs, fiberoptic scopes and LMAs. Calibrates and trouble-shoots all anesthesia machines. Provides necessary medication during procedures when needed. Responsible for attending to medical pipeline, including N2O, CO2 and N2. Clears all debris and equipment from the surface and drawers of all used anesthesia machines. Checks all machine drawers for mandatory supplies according to the complete list provided by the supervisor. Checks the status of nitrous oxide, nitrogen and carbon dioxide cylinder banks to determine available supply pressure. Replaces empty cylinders as necessary and answer to the alarm calls. Makes minor repairs and adjustments on anesthesia equipment as necessary. Informs Engineering of repair needed to equipment. Performs other related duties as requested.
- Patient Care: Assists with transport and monitoring of critically ill patients. Demonstrates knowledge of pain management procedures including specific blocks, epidurals, spinals and patient positioning. Assists by holding patient and/or equipment for the procedure. Demonstrates knowledge of airway management protocols, including trans-tracheal intubations, fiberoptic scopes, LMAs, copas, tube changer, jet ventilation and AMBU bag. Assists during difficult intubations. Demonstrates knowledge of chest cases and tube placement, including double lumen tubes, ARNDT blockers and univent tubes.
- Assists in CV procedures when special equipment and supplies are required. Demonstrates knowledge of fluids used on a daily basis, including Lactated Ringers, Plasma Lite, Normal Saline, Hespan, Flextend, FFP, Whole Blood and Albumin. Retrieval of all IV fluids. Prepares critically ill patients for line placement. Demonstrates knowledge of all components of percutaneous introducer kits, double lumen kits, triple lumen kit, long arm CVP kits, and any invasive volume procedure. Demonstrates knowledge and set up of the following machines: Level I RIS, syringe pumps, capnographs, TEG and TEEs. Assists with set up of special equipment. Establishes and coordinates all off site anesthesia specifically MM, CT, Neuro X Ray, photon & Gamma Knife Procedures. Proficient with ABG and ACT units. Able to calibrate and run QC/QA analysis on associated systems.
- General: Performs a multitude of duties during stressful situations. Maintains and establishes department policies and procedures, and plays an active role in Q and A activities. Incorporates cost outing measure according to corporate guidelines working through purchasing. Ensures workroom areas are clean and orderly before, during and after each shift. Performs all other related anesthesia departmental duties as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify you must have a Minimum Qualifications:Bachelors Degree in health care related field preferred or a suitable combination of education and experience. Graduate of approved Anesthesia Technician program. Certification in BLS-C required. Basic computer skills, i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook. Experience in staff development and training. Ability to lift and push all anesthesia equipment and supplies over 50 lbs.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.