NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children’s hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute¿designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Health Navigator.
In this role, the successful candidate The Health Navigator works with high risk patient populations to identify the need for and to coordinate services that address issues that impact an individuals ability to access health care services, understand their medical condition(s) and treatment plan, and/or optimally engage in self-management activities.
The Health Navigator works with patients and caregivers to ensure that they are knowledgeable about and connected to health care and community based social services that address their individual needs. The Health Navigator also supports transitions from one care setting to another, provides targeted health education and promotes preventive healthcare services. This position supports program outcomes of reduced admissions/readmissions, reduced emergency department visits, reduced gaps in care and increased self-efficacy and patient satisfaction. The position works in collaboration with providers, other NYULH staff and payers to ensure the achievement of high quality outcomes for patients/caregivers.
- Perform other duties to support care coordination, as requested.
- Attend and participate in program/initiative teleconferences, program enhancement trainings and meetings, as required.
- Meet all other expectations and responsibilities of the program/initiative.
- Comply with policies and procedures associated with each department initiative.
- Seeks guidance as appropriate and takes direction from Manager.
- Documents activities clearly and comprehensively in EMR in accordance with departmental standards.
- Maintains current knowledge of community based services and entitlement programs and uses available tools to identify appropriate resources.
- For health plan/other patients receiving outreach for needed preventive services, facilitate closure of gaps in care and encourage use of in-network services.
- Educates patients on the importance of preventive care and facilitates the receipt of appropriate preventive care services.
- Considers the needs and behaviors of specific patients/caregivers in a culturally competent manner; incorporate clinical knowledge and related experience in communications.
- Works with other members of the patients care team as appropriate to ensure activities are integrated and non-duplicative. This includes, but may not be limited to, the Primary Care Provider, inpatient Care Manager and/or Social Worker, Health Home Care Manager, representatives of community based organizations providing services to the patient.
- Develops and coordinates individualized care plans that incorporate appropriate interventions using established protocols based on the patients health and psychosocial needs determined through screening.
- Conducts outreach to and uses established tools to screen patients for chronic or complex health needs, psychosocial needs, and/or barriers to care
To qualify you must have a Education: Bachelors Degree
Experience: Two years clinical experience in ambulatory care, managed care or acute medical-surgical experience in the care of the population targeted for care navigation.
Competencies: Possesses strengths in interpersonal communication, customer service, problem solving, and time management. Good clinical knowledge. Ability to foster strong collaboration with co-workers, peers, physicians, and support staff. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and proficiency in managing an electronic medical record such as Epic or a care/case management system.
Licensure: Current NYS LPN licensure.
Education: Graduate of LPN program or MSW
2+ years in health plan, home health care or ambulatory setting care/case management experience. Epic proficiency.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.