NYU Grossman School of Medicine is one of the nation’s top-ranked medical schools. For 175 years, NYU Grossman School of Medicine has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history and enrich the lives of countless people. An integral part of NYU Langone Health, the Grossman School of Medicine at its core is committed to improving the human condition through medical education, scientific research, and direct patient care. For more information, go to med.nyu.edu, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Senior Research Scientist – Human Genomics and Neurotechnology.
This position will be responsible for collaborating with the Principal Investigator (PI) and working independently within the scientific framework of the PI’s laboratory.
The Evrony Lab (PI: Gilad Evrony) at New York University is dedicated to understanding the mechanisms by which the genome builds the brain and to identifying the molecular-genetic defects underlying neuropsychiatric diseases whose causes are not known. The lab is focused on creating foundational new technologies for genomics and neuroscience in order to answer these questions.
Some of the research interests and approaches used by the lab include:
- the creation of novel, single-cell sequencing technologies for high-resolution lineage tracing directly in human tissues with the goal of establishing a complete catalogue of progenitor and mature cell types in the brain
- the development of genomics technologies to identify the cellular origins of individual brain tumors
- comparative medicine and genomics
- pediatric precision medicine—using advanced genomics to find the causes of unsolved diseases in children with atypical and rare conditions
For more information visit www.evronylab.org.
About the PI: Dr. Evrony received his undergraduate degree from MIT. He completed an M.D. and Ph.D. at Harvard Medical School and has been recognized with the Science Magazine-Eppendorf award and the MIT Technology Review World’s Top Innovators Under 35 Award (TR35). Dr. Evrony also trained in pediatrics at Mount Sinai Hospital.
- Initiates, interprets, organizes, executes, and coordinates research assignments critical to the lab’s mission.
- Formulates and conducts research on problems of considerable scope and complexity.
- Explores scientific subjects and defines the scope and selection of problems for investigation.
- Makes decisions and recommendations that have a major impact on extensive scientific research activities.
- Develops new ideas that promote current research. Exercises a high degree of creativity, foresight, independence, and mature judgment in planning, organizing, and guiding extensive scientific research programs and activities of outstanding novelty and importance.
- May manage the operations of a lab for the Principal Investigator by supervising Post Docs and technicians. Oversees the maintenance and upkeep of instruments and laboratory facilities.
- Ensures timely and accurate completion of research projects. Identifies and resolves technical problems.
- May provide students with technical guidance and direction in the operation of various scientific techniques, equipment, as well as general laboratory practices and safety protocols.
- May participate in writing grant proposals and assisting the PI in obtaining grant funding from external sources in support of research
- May be responsible for research/lab quality control and compliance.
- May develop protocols for the collection and quality of research data.
- Develops research techniques and methodologies.
- May determine and establish laboratory policies, procedures and practices.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of the advances in specialized fields through attendance of scientific conferences.
- May make significant contributions to scientific papers. Is a resource/ author/ co-author for reports and presentations.
- May provide recommendations for equipment purchases and for the design of lab space.
- May coordinate the activity and experimental design between various labs, scientific staff, and collaborators.
- May serve on internal committees to help further goals of research projects and bring new expertise to the research program.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To qualify you must have a PhD in a biological field and 3 years of experience.
3 years of post-doctoral or industry experience. Established a record of significant publications.
Qualified candidates must have excellent communications skills (verbal and written), work well in a team environment, possess leadership skills, and evidence a very high level of laboratory technical skills.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU School of Medicine provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU School of Medicine is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU School of Medicine’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.