NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children’s hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Clinical Lab Technologist.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for complying with the NYUHC mission statement and provide safe and timely transfusion for all NYUHC patients by carrying out NYUHC transfusion technology processes according to established standards contained in the Blood Bank Quality Assurance Plan and Self Assessment (BBQAPSA) program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Maintain professional currency in the field of immunohematology and bloodbanking by attending programs that provide a minimum of twelve CEU per year.
- Understands focus on dispensingin HJD BB and CBH Lab andadheres to issue policy. Familiarwith the HJD and CBH servicevariations on policies andprocedures. Able to function in allworkstations of the BB and operateall BB instrumentation. Familiarwith the shipping program for HJDand CBH. Familiar with testingprocedure of HJD; crossmatch andissue policy.
- HJD BB, CCC Lab, ACC Lab andCBH Lab. Is competent to performall laboratory donor processes,inventory management, patienttesting, blood dispensing, andinformation systems processes inall workstations and may beassigned to any of the sites underNYULMC Blood Bankmanagement at any time.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Facilities and Safety in Blood Banking including biological, chemical, radiation safety, and waste stream management. Complies with hospital and departmental standards. Participates in process improvement by submitting occurrences reports. Completes the blood transfusion monitoring – process improvement survey. Able to resolve internal/external complaints. Provides accurate quality control records. Familiar with safety regulations. Fire safety, biological or chemical policies.
- Internal/External Assessments.Participates as directed incorrective action plans; preventiveaction planning, and qualitymonitoring activities. CompletesNYULMC required in-services,Infection Control and Compliance.Completed annual healthassessmnet at OHS. Completesnecessary read and signdocuments for SOP updates in atimely manner. Participatessuccessfully in proficiency exams.
- Consistently completes and/orreviews Transfusion ReactionInvestigation Form thoroughly andaccurately, documentinginvestigation, testing, andtranscribing transfusionists historybefore submitting for MedicalDirector review. Understandsrequirements to submit federalBiological Product Deviations, NYSErrors Incidents and Accidentsreports. Blood product labelingdiscrepancies andshipping/distribution anomalies areinvestigated and reportedimmediately to Quality Analyst,such as Stem Cell temp monitors,CMV required neg units, antigennegative units, etc..
- Demonstrates knowledge and awareness of Blood Bank (BB) Deviation, Non-conformance and Complications. Successfully intervenes to prevent product non-conformance and its possible consequences including: fatal donor and recipient transfusion reactions; transfusion reaction (TX RCT) detection and resolution; reporting, and evaluation of donor or recipient complications. Understands and carries out all procedures regarding products that are nonconforming, especially as pertain to inspection at accession, preparation and dispensing. Appropriately detects, evaluates and reports suspected complications experienced by transfusion recipients. (Anaphylaxis, TRALI, AHTR, DHTR, Septic Shock, FNHTR, Anaphylactoid, Urticarial, Fluid Overload).
- Demonstrates knowledge of Documents and Records: uses computer systems to conduct patient, donor, tissue (stem cells) testing and processing activities recognizing and safeguarding the control functions of the systems designed to protect blood donors and recipients. Understands, respects and maintains other work records, including record retention requirements, as set forth in the AABB Standards and in the NYU MC BBQAPSA. Familiar with BBQAPSA policy and procedure manual.
- Understands the importance of systems-based error reporting and uses Occurrence Report Form (ORF) as intended to contribute patient and donor safety in a non-punitive environment focused on process improvement. Knows records retention requirements for Hemocare patient, inventory, donor records. Consistently retrieves necessary and sufficient available data from all computer systems and subsystems consistent with security access, including HIS, Hemocare, LIS. Familiar with computer down records, documents, policies and forms.
- Blood Dispensing: issues all blood and components and coagulation factor concentrates and HPCs carefully and with full attention to special patient needs for blood attributes and component modifications as indicated in orders, and according to SOP. (Failure to complete transactions in the hemocare system > 2 per year is a serious breach of patient safety and automatic 1).
- NYU Donor/Autologous/Directed Donor/Special Products (Auto HPC, HLA & NAIT SDP) Management. Accurately integrates donor subsystem with inventory subsystem of Hemocare to guarantee appropriate test result entry and/or product availability to patients.
- Performs Quality Control and /or process audit functions as scheduled and according to SOP Component Modification: Consistently performs correct: 1) Blood irradiation, 2) Sterile docking, 3) LRC selection) Hgb S negative testing (SDX) and selection, 5) CMV recording according to SOP. Inventory management: regularly follows SOP for blood and components selection, consistently adhering to FIFO system where dictated by SOP.
- Blood and Component Accession: accurately reconciles shipments, inspects blood and components for acceptance, accessions into hemocare, labels, places on quarantine and/or performs confirmatory testing and stores in correct order in controlled temp devices. Voluntarily fills in down time with this activity. Pre-transfusion compatibility testing (PTCT)Sample Triage: accurately reviews and accepts/rejects patient samples for PTCT; performs & records thorough transfusion history and triages work according to SOP. Pre-transfusion compatibility testing (PTCT) Testing: Accurately tests and reports and reports ABO/RH, Atypical red cell antibody screen, EC, AHG XM, DAT, AID, Supplementary cell selection, FMH screens, and antibody titers.
- Demonstrates core knowledge of Process Control functions and is able to safely and successfully control the related processes of: blood acquisition, storage, distribution, pre- transfusion compatibility testing, blood dispensing, adverse reaction management and component modification.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Blood Bank Quality Assurance Plan Self Assessment (BBQAPSA) including the ten BB organizational standards known as Quality System Essentials based on the current AABB standards.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Clinical Laboratory Technology from a program registered by the NYS Department of Education or Bachelor’s Degree in the major of biology, chemistry or physical sciences from an accredited college or university
- One year in a clinical laboratory (Completion of an internship program at a qualified institution is acceptable)
- License as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist by the State of New York based on the on the Special Provision of the Regulations of the Commissioner in accordance with the Clinical Laboratory Technology Practice Act
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills required
Required Licenses: CliniclLabTechnolgst-NYSPermit, Clinical Lab Technologist-NYS
- Familiar with HCLL
- Work experience in a large volume hospital
- ASCP,BB, or SBB registry preferred
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.