NYU Grossman School of Medicine is one of the nation’s top-ranked medical schools. For 175 years, NYU Grossman School of Medicine has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history and enrich the lives of countless people. An integral part of NYU Langone Health, the Grossman School of Medicine at its core is committed to improving the human condition through medical education, scientific research, and direct patient care. For more information, go to med.nyu.edu, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Sr Research Scientist.
The Center for Human Genetics & Genomics at the NYU Grossman School of Medicine invites applications for the position of Sr. Research Scientist/ Director, Human Genetics Analysis Core. This individual will be responsible for enabling our faculty to perform expert human genetic and genomic analysis, including: (1) design of family-based and population-based genetic studies; (2) genome-wide association studies (GWAS); (3) whole exome and whole genome sequence analysis and interpretation; (4) instruction on the use of relevant human genetics databases.
The successful individual is expected to have a PhD degree and experience in the areas of bioinformatics, population genetics and human disease analysis. The Core will be a part of the Center for Human Genetics & Genomics (Aravinda Chakravarti: Director) which is focused on developing a new science of human genetics, using statistical, computational, experimental and clinical approaches to unravel the molecular basis of Mendelian and complex disease.The Center occupies new space, is designed to foster highly innovative and collaborative research, and operates side-by side with the Institute for Systems Genetics, the Institute for Computational Medicine and the many clinical departments within the vibrant biomedical research environment at NYU Langone Health, as well as the active human genetics community in New York City. The individual should have demonstrated capabilities in collaboration and communication. We are seeking colleagues with creative ideas that will enable human genetic studies in large-scale.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organization’s core values and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
- Initiates, interprets, organizes, executes, and coordinates research assignments critical to the Center’s mission.
- Formulates and conducts research on problems of considerable scope and complexity.
- Explores subject area and defines scope and selection of problems for investigation through conceptually related studies or series of projects of lesser scope.
- Makes decisions and recommendations that have a major impact on extensive scientific research activities.
- Develops new ideas that promote current research. Exercises a high degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in planning, organizing, and guiding extensive scientific research programs and activities of outstanding novelty and/or importance.
- May manage the operations of the Core by supervising Post Docs and technicians. Oversees the maintenance and upkeep of all instruments and laboratory facilities relevant to their project.
- Ensures timely and accurate completion of research projects.
- Participate in grant writing of proposals.
- May be responsible for research/ lab quality control and compliance.
- May develop protocols for the collection and quality of research data.
- Develops research techniques and methodologies.
- May determine and establish laboratory policies, procedures, and practices in consultation with the PIs.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of the advances in specialized fields through attendance of scientific conferences.
- May provide recommendations for equipment purchases and for the redesign of lab space.
- May coordinate the activity and experimental design between various labs, scientific staff, and collaborators. Identifies and resolves technical problems.
- May serve on internal committees to help further goals of research projects and bring new expertise to the research program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To qualify you must have a PhD and 3 years of experience.
Substantial experience from having completed Post Doc training. Established a record of publications.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Grossman School of Medicine’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.