NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children’s hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center, and NYU Grossman School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Director-Compliance and Privacy.
In this role, the Director, Compliance and Privacy oversees all ongoing activities related to general corporate compliance and privacy, including the development, implementation, maintenance of and adherence to NYU Langone Healths policies and procedures covering corporate compliance and privacy and all privacy and compliance related investigations. The Director acts as the designated HIPAA Privacy Officer. The Director manages the Corporate Compliance and Privacy team, and assists the VP of Internal Audit, Compliance and ERM with other compliance responsibilities as needed.
- Responsible for the IACERM team that has oversight of general corporate compliance activities, communication and education, HIPAA privacy, investigations and breach reporting, trustee and officer conflicts of interest, exclusion screening, and business associate agreements.
- Oversee monthly exclusion screening process and continuously work with other departments (e.g., Supply Chain Management, MCIT) to fine tune and otherwise enhance the efficiency of the process.
- Establish and administer all HIPAA privacy related requirements, including policies and procedures, patient rights, privacy related complaints, investigations, breach reporting as the designated HIPAA Privacy Officer for the NYU Langone Organized Health Care Arrangement and all HIPAA Covered Entities and business associates therein.
- Work with and directly oversee the Compliance and Privacy team to administer the process for receiving, documenting, tracking, analyzing, investigating, and responding to questions and reports of privacy and compliance concerns, in coordination and collaboration with other department functions (e.g., Billing and Research Compliance), and in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, including the HITECH Breach Notification Rule and state breach notification laws.
- Serves as primary contact with the Office for Civil Rights and State Attorney Generals regarding breach notification, patient complaints, and follow-up as needed.
- Oversee the patient notification process and any associated call teams set up to address patient questions and complaints in response to breach notification.
- Work with key areas at NYU Langone Health such as legal counsel, senior management, and finance to ensure NYU Langone Health has and maintains appropriate privacy and confidentiality consents, authorization forms, and information notices (e.g., Notice of Privacy Practices) and related materials reflecting current organization, best practices, and legal requirements.
- Serves as the subject matter expert to all workforce members and functions across the organization, including but not limited to the Institutional Review Board and the Health Information Management Department, on privacy laws, regulations, and best practices. Participates in appropriate NYU Langone Health forums and/or committees to ensure HIPAA/Privacy compliance.
- Oversee proactive efforts to ensure patient privacy and NYU Langone Health compliance, including but not limited to privacy rounds, Data Loss Prevention and monitoring, electronic access monitoring, and education and training, including annual training, additional department or topic specific training, and corrective educational follow- ups.
- Review all system-related information security plans throughout NYU Langone Health to ensure alignment between security and privacy practices and act as a liaison to the information systems department.
- Negotiate and manage business associate agreements and take steps to ensure business associates are aware of the organization’s privacy and security policies and procedures, in conjunction with legal counsel.
- Maintain an awareness and current knowledge of laws and regulations, keeping abreast of current changes that may affect healthcare systems through personal research, seminars, training programs, and peer contact.
- Support the VP of IACERM with responsibilities related to the NYU Langone Health System Audit and Compliance Committee, including meeting preparation, minutes, and drafting documentation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify you must have a JD or Bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Administration or related field Seven-ten years of compliance and privacy experience in a large academic healthcare setting Expert knowledge and experience with privacy information laws and regulations Excellent verbal and written communication skills Ability to creatively solve problems and effectively manage multiple projects while working independently Experience in a supervisory capacity managing and developing a team
Certification in Health Care Privacy Certification in Healthcare Compliance Knowledge of Epic system
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.