NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital at NYU Langone Health is one of the nation’s leading orthopedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopedic program in New York City. The hospital is consistently ranked among the leading orthopedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient’s ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopedic Surgery, Rheumatology, Neurology, and Radiology. Learn more about NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital, and interact with us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Telephone Operator.
In this role, the successful candidate operates the Medical Center switchboard in order to respond to incoming, outgoing, internal calls, patient information, emergency calls (33911), codes, airways, MRT, paging and overhead paging requests.
- DIRECTORY AND INFORMATION SERVICES- Provides callers with directory and general Medical Center information and or instructions on telecommunications system usage (i.e.: paging, patient information etc.) Responds to directory assistance requests by locating appropriate number or codes promptly and accurately. Assist callers in determining correct department called by requesting and providing information based on content of the enquired. Consistently answers calls in a courteous and professional manner; apologizes for cutoffs and wrong numbers. Provides information quickly and accurately, transferring problem callers to proper level of supervision. Is aware of the call waiting signal; overlaps by serving multi functions at the same time. Identifies self with operator number when answering calls.
- EMERGENCY CALLS- Be prepared to respond to both internal and external emergencies. Some examples of emergencies are but not limited to: fire, bomb threat, infant abduction, code 1000. Provides immediate response to and process emergency calls promptly. Obtains all needed emergency information quickly and calmly. Initiates correct calls to obtain emergency services
- EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION SYSTEM (Sendwordnow)- Maintain and activate different scenarios as needed for the Emergency Notification System. Update contact information. Build and change messages. Assigned users to the appropriate scenario. Activate scenarios when requested by management.
- UPDATES TELEPHONE CONSOLE PROGRAMS- Provides daily and weekly updates to the operators online directory. Inputs information accurately and promptly. Maintains up to date directory. Maintains the directory of all functions and departments. Maintains on-call schedules for each department and made the changes required on a monthly basis.
- COMMUNICATIONS/RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHERS- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of all patient, physician, and hospital related information. Cooperates and communicates effectively and harmoniously with own supervisor, management, peers, general staff, physicians, other Medical Center personnel, patients, their families and the general public in a courteous and professional manner. Communications (verbal and written) are well thought out, effective, and informative. Encourages open communication and verbalization of opinions among staff in an attempt to identify opportunities and/or resolve problems in the department. Is attentive to others in order to respond appropriately, answer questions, or obtain additional information.
- JUDGMENT/DECISION-MAKING- Demonstrates good managerial judgment by conducting each aspect of supervision in a fair, firm, consistent, and objective manner. Makes good judgments which are based on gathering and analyzing, factual and objective data; is able to interpret policies/procedures in order to make a sound independent decision. Demonstrates alertness and adaptability to changing patient and employee conditions; responds appropriately. Makes decisions in a timely manner.
- INITIATIVE- Makes suggestions for positive changes. Readily accepts new responsibilities and assignments. Recognizes when help is needed by others and offers guidance and assistance. Maintains a current awareness of institutional issues (ie-strikes, emergencies, etc.) in order to ensure appropriate decision making.
- PLANNING AND TIME UTILIZATION- Work is thought out and planned in advance; is able to successfully implement plan. Determines priorities; adheres to these priorities with minimal changes. Demonstrates flexibility in adjusting to the fluctuating needs of the department and the Medical Center.
- ATTENDANCE/RELIABILITY- Adheres to departmental guidelines concerning sick time, vacation, personal days and other paid/unpaid leaves. Arrives on time for work and meetings. Provides proper notification of absences or tardiness. Does not abuse sick time.
- ADDITIONAL PERFORMANCE STANDARDS- Adheres to departmental and Medical Center guidelines concerning safety, rules of conduct, etc., as outlined in the Employee Staff Handbook. Maintains a professional appearance; wears identification badge at all times.
- Perform other assigned duties
High School Diploma or Equivalent. Two (2) years of telephone experience in a healthcare, hotel, or a large institutional environment or equivalent combination of education and experience. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
1 to 3 years answering telephone calls at a Switch-Board or Reception area.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital at NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view the NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital at NYU Langone Health’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.