Information Technology & Digital
Enterprise Data Warehousing and Analytics
The Enterprise Data Warehouse and Analytics (EDW) team is dedicated to providing our diverse user community throughout NYU Langone with the information and data they need to manage operations, solve problems, and make intelligent decisions. Everyone from executive leadership to students, clinicians, and operations rely on accurate and timely information to take care of patients, advance research, and educate our next generation of health care workers. The EDW team collects data from various authoritative source systems such as Epic, builds reports and analytic enterprise dashboards, and supports those who build their own reports and dashboards. We also serve as the gatekeeper for enterprise metrics and data architecture, maintaining centralized governance across the organization.
IT Project Management, Strategy and Operations
The Enterprise Project Management, Strategy and Operations team supports NYU Langone Health’s IT organization in all aspects of strategic planning, sourcing and contract negotiations, financial management, and project delivery for information technology and digital solutions across the enterprise. The team leads with their motto of “excellence without excuses.”
The IT Strategy and Planning group partners within the IT department and across the organization in the development and mobilization of strategic digital programs. Core functions include industry research and competitive assessment of digital capabilities, facilitation of large-scale strategy formulation and planning, and organizational transformation to support the delivery of strategic programs.
Our Enterprise Program Management Office (EPMO) serves a core function within the enterprise, leading delivery across an array of technology portfolios aligned to our Institutional Missions (Research, Education, and Clinical). On average, we manage between 600-700 projects per year of various sizes. They partner with product owners, architects, developers, and business leaders to build new state-of-the-art clinical spaces, drive digital transformation for our users, and support complex system upgrades. Our EPMO defines and maintains standards and governance for program and project management across teams, influenced by industry best practices and our culture of continuous learning and improvement.
The IT Contract Management, Procurement, and Finance operations group partners closely with the EPMO and all IT Delivery Leads to facilitate a centralized process for financial management. This group facilitates all sourcing events, including vendor proposals and negotiations for all IT initiatives. They also manage all processes associated with departmental budget planning, reporting, and management to maintain alignment with the enterprise strategy.
NYU Langone’s Clinical Informaticists (CIs) work in collaboration with clinical departments to build relationships and leverage their respective strengths to gain support and adoption of health information technology methodology and solutions. CIs advocate on behalf of assigned clinical services and departments and work closely with MCIT in the design, build, validation, and evaluation of clinical workflows involving health information and clinical systems. We also teach, publish and disseminate innovations in informatics methodology and applications that improve patient outcomes, patient and clinician experience, or value of patient care.
The Digital Solutions team at NYU Langone Health designs, develops, and integrates digital solutions to transform healthcare. We specifically work to improve the digital experiences for our patients, clinicians, researchers, educators, and workforce, by seeking to understand their needs and developing innovative digital solutions to address them. Whether that be creating public webpages and patient-facing applications that make scheduling care seamless, or partnering with colleagues in marketing to develop best-in-class digital marketing capabilities, we harness the power of digital tools to stay connected with all stakeholders across our organization. Each team within Digital Solutions is cross-functional, made up of Product Managers, Scrum Masters, UX/UI Designers, Technical Architects, Software Developers, and QA Engineers.
Our team’s core values are:
- Data-Driven Decision Making – We value using data, analytics, and heuristics to aid decision-making and influence our strategy and roadmap.
- Exceptional User Experience – We value having a deep understanding of our users and their needs so we can create solutions that are simple, effective, and enjoyable to use.
- High-Quality Engineering Practice – We value software engineering and testing practices that ensure the continuous delivery of highly responsive, reliable, and secure software.
- Communication and Collaboration – We value transparent communication and frequent collaboration between all individuals, within and across teams.
- Agility – We value responding gracefully and quickly to change, being flexible and adaptive, as we gain new information and learn from our experiences and feedback.
- Trust and Respect – We value creating a positive work environment, which fosters trust, respect, happiness, and well-being.
- Maximizing Potential – We not only seek to recruit the best talent but also leverage the growth mindset to develop the skills of the staff we have.
Corporate Systems performs three main functions within the Information Technology department. The first is managing HR, finance, and supply chain functions, including integrating enterprise resource planning platforms with third-party modules. The second function is overseeing a dynamic portfolio of roughly 50 applications in the Corporate Ancillary Services department, to support multiple business areas. Lastly, Corporate Systems are responsible for enterprise financial reporting, budgeting and planning, and cost accounting. The team has a hand in all aspects of application services including system implementations, maintenance, disaster recovery testing, and integrations with other applications. We act as the IT business partners for these areas to assist with identifying new technology needs, issue RFPs for services, and perform gap analysis.
The Enterprise Architecture team focuses on the high-level design of NYU Langone’s IT landscape. We review the design of all solutions to ensure adherence to our IT standards and examine potential impact on the enterprise. Primary architecture domains include business, technical, application, integration, data, and security. Some of the key activities of our team include:
- Planning – researching new technologies and running proof of concepts
- Setting Rules – defining principles, standards, policies, best practices, and reference architectures
- Reviewing Solutions – analyzing projects and assessing technological impact
- Optimizing IT – promoting reuse, rationalizing business processes, and integrating workflows
The Quality Assurance (QA) team is a centralized function established to help enhance the quality of all software products developed and maintained by the IT department. It acts as an independent organization to institutionalize testing across MCIT. The team also helps to reduce software implementation costs by identifying defects early, using both manual and automated testing techniques.
Key QA services include:
- Release Testing
- Test Coordination
- Regression Test Automation
- Performance Testing & Benchmarking
- Wi-Fi certifications
Robotic Process Automation
The Robotic Process Automation (RPA) team helps solve business challenges by utilizing intelligent process automation and related technologies to drive down organizational costs and improve stakeholder experiences. The team utilizes industry-recognized RPA tools and artificial intelligence and machine learning to build bots that run autonomously, replicating the operational workflows that the manual user would typically perform.
Education IT supports all educational technology for both the NYU Long Island School of Medicine and the NYU Grossman School of Medicine, which is consistently ranked as a top medical school in the country. The team aims to make it easier for students and trainees to succeed, faculty to teach, and developers to create. We do this by driving the digital experiences and IT solutions that facilitate best-in-class learning, such as virtual reality patient games and anatomy models, clinical tele-simulations and technology to support remote learning and flipped classrooms. We manage custom web applications, vendor-supported applications, and classroom technology, and enable educational process improvements through our solutions.
MCIT Clinical Affairs helps coordinate IT solutions and strategy at over 300 NYU Langone Health ambulatory locations. Our team of experts provide support unique to the various specialty services offered to the communities we serve in New York City, Las Vegas, and Florida. We also provide critical support to business operations during mergers, acquisitions, and campus transformations, and have coordinated the construction of a network of Patient Access Centers across the country.
NYU Langone Health’s Cybersecurity discipline offers individuals an experience to develop and apply cutting-edge skills alongside world-class cyber-innovators and digital security leaders. The Cybersecurity team is a passionate group of individuals with diverse interests who are fierce advocates for cybersecurity. The team’s mission is to safely enable NYU Langone Health to thrive and innovate in the emergent cyber world while ensuring the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of NYU Langone Health’s electronic data and systems. The Cybersecurity team deploys a multi-disciplined methodology with teams focused on policy, education, and governance; IT controls and regulatory compliance; vulnerability management; cyber threat management and incident response, and secure solutions assurance.
Research IT and Informatics
The research mission of NYU Langone Health has an international reputation for delivering scientific discoveries that can benefit all of humanity. Research IT supports the gamut of discovery from bench science through translational research to large-scale clinical trials and population health studies. Our aim is to support and empower our scientists in a way that elevates their work and encourages new generations of researchers to join us. Our team manages custom web applications and vendor-supported applications and responds to new challenges from the research community every day. We also manage supercomputing technology and clinical research data management.
Clinical Systems and Integration
Our Clinical Systems and Integration team is responsible for designing and implementing digital systems across our enterprise to facilitate world-class clinical care. The team is guided by our ‘One Patient, One Chart’ principle, which refers to one secure, centralized patient electronic health record on Epic across all NYU Langone campuses.
We work to create the best digital experience for clinicians, patients and their families by employing a user-centric, product development approach across our more than 350 inpatient and outpatient locations. All members of the Clinical Systems team collaborate with clinicians, informaticists, external partners, and clinical and operational business partners to deliver seamlessly integrated digital workflows and continually optimize their use based on a culture grounded in quality and metrics-driven improvements.
Our staff are frequently profiled in the technical press and recognized for achievements in professional forums. We were the first health system in New York State to receive the prestigious HIMSS Analytics Stage 7 Status in both inpatient and outpatient settings, for the highest and most optimized level of electronic health record adoption. We also received the prestigious HIMSS Davies Award of Excellence.
Infrastructure and End User Support
The MCIT Infrastructure and End User Support team performs a wide range of functions, including directly assisting end-users, deploying enterprise technologies, maintaining connectivity, server, and storage technologies, and bridging the gaps between end-users and technology. Our team consists of six focus areas:
- End User Support: Our mission is to deliver an awesome customer service experience on every interaction by resolving individual end user trouble tickets, granting access, setting up IT equipment, and deploying and configuring hardware and devices across all areas of the health system.
- Application Infrastructure: The Application Infrastructure group delivers infrastructure technologies and services to support critical enterprise applications in the clinical and corporate spaces. We manage application and desktop virtualization across business and clinical applications, provide access to secure electronic health records, and streamline clinical workflows and sensitive patient data.
- Workplace Technology: The Workplace Technology team focuses primarily on end-user facing technologies that are consumed daily throughout the enterprise. We engineer and develop solutions for desktops and laptops, make mobile devices work more seamlessly, create an immersive collaboration experience, and enable users to be reached by voice, text or electronic messaging, providing all services with expediency and resiliency.
- Platform Services: Platform Services and Data Center staff manage all operations, projects, and engineering activities related to NYU Langone’s clinical, research, and education infrastructure technologies, including Epic. The team utilizes next-generation technologies from world-class vendors, including hyper-converged, storage, compute, data center, and recovery platforms, to transform infrastructure technologies for the organization.
- Network Services: The Network Services team is responsible for the design, engineering and daily support of the communication systems supporting the delivery of NYU Langone Health’s mission-critical applications. We deploy cutting edge networking technologies including routing, switching, security, voice, wireless, data center (cloud), and internet (IoT).
- Core Technologies: The mission of the Core Technologies group is to protect the stability of the business by facilitating a Highly Reliable Operation for all NYULH patients and clinical staff. Our varied, complementary service offerings focus on preventing business disruptions and, should failure occur, ensuring the rapid recovery of services.